1. Brush twice daily for two minutes! Brush your teeth the very first thing on a morning (yes, that's before you have breakfast!) and also make it the very last thing at night.
2. Always use a timer! Ideally use a sonic or electric brush with a built in two minute timer so that it does all the work for you. However, if you are using a manual brush, a watch or phone will do.
3. Drinking water is the way! Keeping a glass of water by your bed is the best way to avoid any excess sugar in your diet. Milk, cordial and juice all contain sugars, which causes your teeth to rot and hence darken - and we wouldn't want that!
4. Clean inbetween! Brushing alone will only clean around 60% of your teeth, flossing (no, not the dance move!) cleans the spaces inbetween your teeth helping to prevent stains in hard to reach places.
5. Chew sugar free gum! After eating or drinking dark coloured foods or drinks (we're talking red wine, Janet) chewing gum helps to stimulate saliva to clear these stains away.
6. Use a mouthwash at a different time to brushing! Doing this will help to strength your teeth even more so, so that there’s less chance of your getting dark decayed teeth.
7. Don’t Smoke. This is a big one! Not only will smoking stain your teeth, it also makes it more likely that your teeth will fall out!
Now that you’ve got the basics right, for more information on teeth whitening head over to